Friday, March 2, 2012

Lost letters.. from Jan.11 &18th 2012


Hey! Sorry you haven’t gotten my emails. I have been sending pictures and the emails haven’t been sending because of the picture attachments.

Jan. 11th 2012

Hey, sounds like a lot happened this week... with all of Vovo’s treatments and with Rebecca’s baby. Wow!! That makes me happy to hear about the blessing Jason gave Vovo; it gives me comfort because I’ve been thinking about him the last couple days and thinking if I’ll see him when I get home. Now I know that I will :)

I'm feeling a lot better. I have a cough and it’s one of those coughs that will stay for about 6 months haha but my asthma is fine. I'm going out and I'm working! This week I don’t have that much to say just because I was super sick and it seemed like one thing would start and end and then another would start instead of just getting it all in one dose. But that’s life I guess…like I said things are going much better now and I'm happy about that.

We have one real legit progressing investigator, Mary Brando. Her husband died from cancer about 6 weeks before I got here. She has 3 children and 2 of them are baptized, the other one is only 5 and we have a plan for her to get baptized the 21st of Jan. I think she can do it. She knows the doctrine really well and has a great testimony and reads and prays with her children everyday, but she smokes... that’s the only thing stopping her, when we met with her last week she was smoking 20 a day and then we met with her yesterday and she is down to 8. We made her a calendar to follow to show her the things she must do for her baptism. She just needs to drop one cigarette a day and she will be fine. I made her "fake cigs". I made a box with Jesus pictures and then found like 20 powerful inspiring scriptures and then wrote each one on a slip of paper and rolled it into a cig. Every time she has a desire or craving to smoke she takes one of those and reads the scripture. I think it has helped a lot and I hope that it will continue to help. :)

Other then that, all the investigators that we found before Christmas have kind of dropped up which is too bad. One family we found asked us on the phone why we didn’t do the cross when we prayed with them. I said that it would be best to go over and explain it instead of trying to explain over the phone but he didn’t want that. He wanted the answer then and there. I simply explained how we realize and understand that Christ died for us and many Christians have a cross to remind themselves of his death but we prefer to focus on a living Christ and the fact that he lives and guides us today and we don’t use the cross because its a symbol of his death. He didn’t like that and said true Christians do the cross...its just too bad that some people can be turned off to the gospel just because of little things like that, but I know that Heavenly Father is preparing people to receive us and we just have to continue to find them. :)

That’s it for me! Today for pday we went to this place called Stresa; it’s a cool little town with nothing too special but I took pictures which will be attached to this email. I hope you enjoy! Next week I will be going to Milan because there are sales this time of year and then the next pday I’ll go to Switzerland! :)

Hope you all have a great week! Thanks for your prayers and support. :) LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

Love Anziano Glowa

January 18th 2012

THURSDAY- I did a scambi with our zone leaders. I went to Como with Anziano Kimball, he’s a great missionary! He’s best friends with my trainer, so we had a lot to talk about. We taught amazing lessons; some of the most spiritual lessons we’ve taught on our missions. We just teach like bosses together.

FRIDAY- nothing special, we did weekly planning, and we just taught people and gave away copies of the book of Mormon. We don’t have like any legit investigators, thanks to the holiday seasons, like all our investigators have dropped us. Anyways we are still working hard looking for Heavenly Father’s elect. I love talking with people; it’s the best, this evening we had ward council also.

SATURDAY- same kinda deal…just doing casa and strada and talking to people and teaching lessons, like I said there really isnt anyone legit to talk about. We do have Mary Brando. She had a baptismal date for this Saturday but she can’t quit smoking and she won’t be ready for this Saturday. We had a good lesson with her about what she wants and how we can help her get that and then she asked for a blessing of comfort. It’s going to be weird when I come home and have to give blessings in English. Haha I’m just so used to doing it in Italian. :)

SUNDAY- we had church and then we got invited over for lunch by the Pallandinos. They are so awesome! They are a newlywed couple. We ate pasta with meat; it was good! :) Then we went outside and it was sooooo freezing!!!!! it was like -5...I’m sure you are all thinking right now “wow that’s really not that cold, Ben should come home and see how cold it is here,’ but its sooo humid here and there is no snow so its just such a bitter cold. So when it’s -5, I’m sure it’s like -25 for you guys. Either that or I’m just a baby who has forgotten the cold of Canada. :p

MONDAY- we did a scambi with our district. I was with our district leader and we stayed in Busto. We worked hard and we have investigators named Isaac and Rita. I don’t remember if I have talked about them but pretty much we are going to drop them. They were so legit but they are not married and they can’t get married because Isaac’s passport expired and he needs a job to get money to renew it. Anyways long story short, without the Holy Ghost it has just been hard on them and they don’t keep commitments. All they want to know about is the temple and stuff, which wouldn’t be a bad thing, but they just miss the whole picture and point of the temple. They are mad that they can’t go inside unless they are worthy members and this just brought forth other problems. When we go over they just create contention and we get no where because they are not humble, so we just need to drop them... Then that evening we went to the Brando's house the mother of the guy who died like 2 months ago. She is such a sweet lady and reminds me a lot of grandma Glowa. She made really good food! She is from Sicily originally and just made some great Sicilian food. Of course I don’t know any names just know that it was good! :)

TUESDAY- we re-scambied and then just began teaching lessons and looking for some progressing investigators. I know that the Lord is preparing people but it’s always harder this time of year. I remember last year in Collegno and how we would do 6 to 7 hours of casa...daily... I think about how Jason said he didn’t have a lot of time to do tracking. Hahaha he should come to Italy and do a split with me to see how we do things in Italy hahaha. Anyway in the evening we had set up an appointment with a lady we found before Christmas. Her last name is Digrazia. The family consists of a father, mother, 3 children, the twins are 10 and they have a mentally handicap child who is 15. They are way cool and I can really see them progressing in the future. We talked about the book of Mormon and how they can know if it’s true. We taught them how to pray and the father said the closing prayer. I know that with all the hard work we are doing, the Lord is blessing us and he will continue to bless us.

I know that this is the work of Christ and I know that I have been called to serve and I’m so grateful for this opportunity! I’m so grateful for Uncle Kim and Aunt Dawn and that they have come back. It just makes me so happy and I know that these are the blessing of serving a mission. I know that I’m led by the Lord and when I've gone so far that I can’t go anymore, I know that it’s in those moments that the Lord takes my hand and brings me the rest of the way and leads me to the miracles. I do believe in miracles and they come daily, and if we are putting in our effort and our attitude then we will make it over the miracle fence over and over again.

Please tell Uncle Kim and Aunt Dawn how proud I am of their choices, and that they are a great example to me, as you both are as well. I’m so grateful to have parents who are faithful and who do what is right and I’m so grateful for a brother who lead the way for me, and has always been the best example. I know that we can all do hard things and when we do all we can do and go as far as we can go, the Lord will ALWAYS bring us the rest of the way to the miracles.

LOVE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!

Love Anziano Glowa

Sorry about all the confusion I hope you get this and I’ll write about this week tomorrow. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment